If you haven’t read other AFF show reports about Tsumori Chisato AW 2013, I think one simple word sums it all: Happy. The delightful colours and prints came together and evoked this light-hearted and chirpy mood on people.
I had the opportunity to do an email interview with the Japanese designer herself. Ms Chisato started working for Issey Miyake in 1977 and started her own line in 1990. Famed for her penchant for prints, which are often manga (Japanese comics) inspired, her designs were showcased at Paris in 2003 which led her to gain greater global following thereafter.
Check out her animated responses to my list of questions. I could feel her zest and confidence from afar, what about you?
1. Why did you decide to go into fashion?
When I was a little child, I used to like making clothes for my doll. When I was in high school, I started to wear clothes I made myself. Since I loved drawing, I once thought about being a manga(Japanese comics) artist. But my mom advised me that it’s better for girls to have marketable skills as men do, so I decided to go to Bunka Fashion College and became a fashion designer.
2. Who is your fashion icon?
3. How you get inspirations collections after collections?
I seek for ideas everyday, every moment! All the things around me (music, art, nature, etc..) are sources of inspiration!
4. I have read that you love traveling. Which is your favourite country?
Turkey and Australia (I love Ayers Rock!).
5. Which is your must-have item in your travel luggage?
iPad and iPhone! I always take photos during my trip!
6. What do you think of Singaporeans’ dress sense and style?
Because of the hot weather, most people are dressed casually. But I guess they dress up for parties at night? I think Singaporeans choose different styles for day and night. That sounds fun to me!
7. What are you thinking about for your upcoming SS2014 collection? Can you give us some hint on the direction, or source of inspiration?
I can’t tell you! It’s a secret!
- Published by MsGlitzy.com on May 24, 2013 11:20 AM