I am the last person who would willingly spend half a day in a gym. But hey, I recently realised that this is actually possible. And the gym that I had the luxury to spend half a day in was the newly opened Virgin Active located at One Raffles Place.
Sprawling 33,000 square feet across three levels, Virgin Active Raffles Place is equipped with state-of-art machines to help you work out efficiently.
I would like to distill my experience into the following points:
- This gym is set up with cutting edge facilities. There is a studio with Power Plate machines, which accelerate your workout through vibrations in multiple dimensions. The Technogym machines are connected to the web where you could access Facebook and Youtube. The spin machines come with a screen that shows you the terrain and scenery, as if you were doing some dirt track cycling!
- There are many interesting classes that you choose from. I attended the Anti-Gravity yoga class which execute yoga poses using a hammock. Virgin Active is one of the two studios that offer such yoga classes.
- Workout top and pants are provided. The Virgin Active polyester sports top are comfortable for workouts and available (for loan) in attractive colours! There is no excuse of skipping gym because you forgot your gear, and the sports attire provided looks decent enough for you to see and be seen.
- The membership card is also your locker key, ensuring secure and convenient access to the lockers. Several gyms require patrons to bring their own locks but at Virgin Active, you just select your desired locker, press your membership card against the handle and voila, your locker is secured!
- The crux to spending long hours in this gym, is the extensive Relax and Recovery zone. This zone features several amenities that is almost spa-like, such as the Salt room, with ionised salts that aid in skin rejuvenation and purify one’s respiratory system. In addition, there are steam rooms, ice rooms, experience showers and footbaths with complimentary use of bathrobes.
- Last but not least, being a toiletries snob, I am pleased to inform that the shower rooms are housed with Molten Brown amenities which smell so good.
Naturally, the membership fees to such facilities do not come cheap. The membership consists of a one-time activation fee of $199 and a weekly fee of $42.50. There is no longer-term membership option available, allowing flexibility for members.
I would highly recommend you to spend a day there. A day pass cost $50 and it’s an effective and healthy way to spend a day to exercise and relax. Even your meals could be taken care of because there is even a café within the gym providing healthy food and drinks.
And if you are sleep deprived, you could even spend some time at the sleep pods – which I understand from the film “The Internship” that Google headquarters have a few of that for their staff to catch some shut-eye.
So there you have it.. the secret behind spending longer hours in the gym which does not require you to go crazy and sadistic on your workouts, but also focus on rejuvenation for the soul.
Virgin Active Fitness Club
Level 6, One Raffles Place Tower 2, Singapore 048616
Phone: 6908 7878
Mon-Fri: 6.30am – 10pm| Sat: 8am – 5pm | Sun & PH: 10am – 5pm
« Previous: Kate Spade Saturday and COS open at ION Orchard
» Next: A Winter Tale
- Published by MsGlitzy.com on November 22, 2013 11:07 AM