I have shopped at Taobao intermittently over the past few years. It is good to see how this online marketplace has constantly evolved from catering to domestic buyers to international buyers.
First, you can now shop at Taobao with your international VISA or Mastercard. Next, you no longer to use the service of a Taobao agent or freight forwarder because Taobao has selected a few international freight forwarding agents, which is integrated in the shopping process and require minimal effort on your end!
For step-by-step guide, please refer to this page from Taobao, which is a very good guide for overseas buyers. Here are some tips based on my personal experience:
- Taobao offers 4 different international freight forwarding agents. I selected “4PX” for my deliveries and it has worked well thus far.
You could purchase from various sellers at Taobao and each seller will deliver your items to your selected freight forwarder upon receiving your payment. You will receive a notification everytime a parcel arrives at the freight forwarder. Once all the items have arrived, you could consolidate them together and pay for shipping on Taobao.
I find this method cheaper and more convenient than using Vpost China.
- Before you make a purchase, always check the transaction history and reviews from previous buyers. I have had disappointing purchases from Taobao and feel that checking on the reviews at least help to reduce such occurrences.
- Keep a look out for promotions from Taobao and the sellers’ stores. Some stores offer vouchers or shipping discounts, and Taobao occasionally has games or promotions on shipping.
- Taobao is a massive market place that sells everything from furniture, electronics, fashion apparel to even food items. In the fashion space, you can find some Chinese independent designers selling their wares on Taobao. Here are a few stores you could check out:
Together with Taobao South East Asia, I will be giving away RMB2000 (about S$418) Taobao shopping credits to a lucky reader! Hop over to my Facebook page now to take part in this giveaway. You will have to be a follower of MsGlitzy.com Facebook page to be able to take part. The giveaway closes on 12th Jan, 12pm (Singapore time).
Of course, if you have any question on shopping at Taobao, please leave a comment too.
- Published by MsGlitzy.com on January 6, 2014 11:37 AM