In conjunction with Miss Glitzy’s Monologue’s first anniversary on 2nd April 2010, Miss Glitzy helped the Singapore Council of Women Organisations – Star Shelter.
The Star Shelter was set up in 1999 to help women and their children who are being abused. Women who are admitted to the shelter are aged 18-75 years old and children ranged from newborn to 10 years old for boys and no age limit for girls. Residents at the shelter form a good mix of all races and religions and all of them are referred by the Family Court, Family Service Centres, the Police, Hospitals and other agencies that run crisis helplines. Some of the beneficiaries need a place to stay when they leave their abusive relationships, as well as to be protected from their partners.
Let’s Care and Celebrate! was a campaign conceptualised by Miss Glitzy not only to commemorate the one-year blogging milestone, but to take the opportunity to spread the love by helping others in need. While we are fortunate enough to enjoy quality lifestyle and wholesome relationships, we can also contribute to the society by supporting other women to rebuild their lives and regain their confidence.
Joe & Dough, a cafe serving gourmet sandwiches and coffee at Hitachi Towers #02-05, celebrated its first anniversary (31st March 2010) by being part of this campaign.
Events line-up of Let’s Care and Celebrate!:
- 13th March 2010: Makeup workshop for the beneficiaries of Star Shelter with Wiwit
Wiwit, who is a popular makeup blogger, taught the residents how to do day and night makeup. All participants received a goodie bag with 8 basic makeup products (foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eye brow pencil, eye shadow, blusher, lipstick and fragrance) sponsored by Silkygirl.
- 22nd March – 3rd April 2010: Give a Gift Charity Online Auction
Miss Glitzy and other fashion bloggers contributed their favourite items for readers to bid! $1,389 were raised from the auctions and all proceeds were in aid of SCWO - Star Shelter.
Joe & Dough gave away $10 dining voucher to all winners of the auctions and Kiehl’s sponsored a product set (worth more than $300) to a lucky auction winner.
- 10th April 2010: Joe & Dough coffee making workshop for the beneficiaries of Star Shelter
Beneficiaries of the Star Shelter learnt how to be a barista and what to take note of when they are working in the F&B industry.
Composed by: Only After Coffee
Illustrations by: Noemi Manalang
How you can help:
- Be a volunteer – call +65 6837 0611 for more information.
- To donate:
- 1) By cheque – Pls write the cheque payable to “ SCWO – Star Shelter” , include your name, address and NRIC/FIN numbers for tax deduction.
- 2) By bank transfer –Name of Organisation : SCWO – Star ShelterBank & Branch Name : DBS Bank Raffles CityName of Account Holder : SCWO – Star Shelter
Bank Code: 7171
Branch code: 033
A/c No to be credited : 033-021094-9 (DBS Autosave)
Posts on Let’s Care and Celebrate!:
- Published by MsGlitzy.com in: