Joe & Dough presented a coffee appreciation workshop for 5 residents of the Star Shelter. The attendees learnt more about making coffee, and how to be a good barista.
Due to privacy issues, we were not allowed to take pictures of the Star Shelter residents. They had some fun through the hands-on with the coffee machine though.
Damien, the owner of Joe & Dough, also shared with them the demands of a job in the F&B sector, and the qualities that employers usually look for when they are hiring service staff. I found it a very useful workshop and even suggested that J&D should work with more charity organisations to hold such workshops for their beneficiaries in future!
With that, my first anniversary campaign “Let’s Care and Celebrate!” has come to an end. I started thinking of doing a charity project via the blog since last year but we were too late for Christmas season. Joe & Dough came into the picture really early and our initial idea was to produce an original single by Only After Coffee and sell the CD online or at the cafe.
Naturally, due to high production cost that we had to cough out, we aborted this idea and moved on. For many months, I thought I was going to have a flea market where me and my fellow blogger friends would set up stalls and proceeds would go to the SCWO-Star Shelter. Only After Coffee was even designated as the resident entertainer of the flea. There will be cupcakes and coffee, maybe even a manicurist to do free manicure for flea-ers!
I approached many cafes and bars that were suitably sized for the crowd I was expecting. Unfortunately, none was willing to sponsor their venue on a weekend. There was also a charity licence that I had to apply and the lack of venue made it almost impossible to proceed. 3 weeks before the Saturday that the flea market was supposed to happen, I suddenly thought of a Charity Online Auction and how it could actually solve the venue problem. Without further ado, I contacted the bloggers that I know and everything went rather smoothly thereafter.
This is a true blog charity campaign because everyone of you got to know about this charity and this project via blogs and other social media platforms. I would like to thank:
- Joe & Dough for being so supportive. I got to know them through my blog and the journey has been amazing. Please join their Facebook fan page.
- Dottie, X-Wen, Karen, BB, Mag, Nicole, Gidania and Heinz for your contribution and plug on your blogs/RTs/Facebook!
- Wiwit for your time at the makeup workshop for the residents.
- Noemi for your lovely illustrations and Only After Coffee for that wonderful song.
- Many fellow bloggers who had kindly blogged about this campaign.
- Fellow tweeples for your constant RTs!
- Friends who have helped to spread the word via Facebook.
- Kiehl’s for your lovely product set, which is certainly a “sweetener” (quoting a comment) to the whole Charity Auction!
- Of course, all of you who have bidded for the items.
- And my friends who had to listen to me all the time, and helped me to solve my problems or think of solutions. What could I do without you?
If you only got to know about the campaign and the charity today, it’s never too late to help. You can be a volunteer, or make donations to SCWO-Star Shelter (details here).
Thanks and I hope you will still visit Miss Glitzy’s Monologue. While we continue to enjoy our quality lifestyles, do pause and spare a thought for those around us – be it your family, loved ones, friends – as well as those in need.